Sunday, April 12, 2009

happy easter

I remember one Easter - when my nephew was about six or seven years old - and I told him that the Easter bunny was just a big dandelion. I don't know who was more shocked - him or me. Him for finding out that there was no bunny (though he took it like a man) or me for learning that his parents hadn't yet told him the truth (I was mortified). Think about it, I said, can a bunny lay eggs?

Actually, his parents were the most shocked of all. I got some dirty looks and a little bit of "how could you?" Though even with all the drama, we all knew it was time he found out. Had it been today, all he would have to do is search Wikipedia to know he had been duped. In any case, it was a great moment for my nephew who grew up a little that day.

Happy Easter to all the big and little kids who learn to grow up a little today. May you keep catching dandelions.

No comments:

Post a Comment